Monday 26 March 2012

Leter from Lt.T.L.Jones to Cowan's family

48 Squadron, R.A.F.

France.

Oct. 18th, 1918.

Dear Mrs Gutman

I hasten to reply to your kind letter of the 14th to hand yesterday. I have been digging out all the information I could get of the scrap and this I think will explain what happened. Five of our Bristols lead by Jimmy saw about 8 Fokker Biplanes (the best scout the Germans have) and immediately dived on them and started what we call a dog fight (a mix up). The first to go down in flames was a Hun, then one of our chaps caught it. Just then a Hun got onto Jimmy’s tail – this chap in the ordinary course of events would have been shot down by Jimmy’s observer, but it was noticed that he was not firing at all and the conclusion is that his gun jammed. Had I been there this would not have happened, as I have a perfect peach of a gun which has never failed me yet. I now have a double gun – fire both guns the same time.

How this gave the Hun the chance he wanted and he emptied a lot of lead into Jimmy’s bus. It may be of some consolation to you to know that as the Hun was firing into Jimmy, one of our chaps named Thornton-Norris shot this particular Hun down in flames. Unfortunately he was a few seconds late and the Hun had done his work. The observer Jimmy had was a fellow also named Jones who had just recently joined the Squadron. I wish I had been in the fight – Jimmy might have still been safe then. Since that fight we have shot down a number of Hun machines. He also wrote me a letter the day before telling me not to forget to go and see and tell you all about the fun we had had together. I remember I took him a long distance recon. for the first time – we were at a height of 27,000 feet when we were chased by 27 Huns. We stood no chance 27-1. I shouted to him to dive steeply for home – engine full on, while I emptied every round I had into these Huns. We got home with the engine very nearly on fire. It was though Jimmy’s skilful manoeuvring that I managed to get a Hun in flames one night and five seconds after another out of control. Will certainly let you know when I come home and will be very pleased to come and see you. How sad that his brother arrived in England just too late. Mr Brunton who shared Jimmy’s hut is now on leave. His kit, with all the little things you mentioned, is packed up and will be sent to his next of kin. Now he has given as his next of kin his father in Australia and also an Aunt in Kensington, so I am afraid you will have to write to either of them for the little articles you mention. Jimmy left instructions that a pilot names Clements who used to be in the squadron was to attend to all his kit. Unfortunately Clements has left the squadron so I don’t know exactly what will happen. All his private letters have been destroyed and the registered letter to which you refer was returned from here on the 12th. Many thanks of everything I require. I will not be shy of asking. Believe me Jimmy has been avenged several times over and it will not be my fault if he is not avenged again before I come home. I think i told you i now use a double gun – by pressing a button i fire both together, so there’s going to be some damage.

May I hope to have a word from you again soon – I would be so pleased. Please excuse my writing in lead – I will try and find ink next time.

Yours very sincerely

T.L.Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment