Friday 13 April 2012

Edgar Mobbs


This postcard was included in the photos that Freddie Cunningham's nephew sent me. Freddie first enlisted into the army in Edgar Mobbs' 'D' Company, 7th Northampton Regiment. Edgar Mobbs' Company are legendary in my home town of Northampton. Edgar was the Captain of the town's Rugby team, the Northampton Saints. When the war started he went to enlist but was refused due to his age so he went and raised his own company of men to fight. The company was full of rugby players. Of the 400 who joined the company only 85 are ment to have survived the war. Legand has it that when the climbed out of the trenches Mobbs would kick a rugby ball towards the German trenches. Mobbs was killed at Passchendaele. Every year they have a memorial rugby match in the town in his memory and there are also monuments to him and the Company in the town centre and at the rugby ground. In the photo Edgar Mobbs is standing in the middle of the back row holding the rugby ball. The writting on the back of the postcard says that a number of officers from 'D' Company are in the team.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Matthew, I'm a bbc journalist writing about Edgar Mobbs. I'd like to use this picture in an article - could you message me on greig.watson@bbc.co.uk - many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mathew, I have in my posession a photo album which belonged to Leonard Charles Taylor who flew in 48 Squadron in WW1. It has several photos of the men from the squadron which could help you fill in one or two gaps. You can contact me through my website www.poigraves.uk
    Bruce Caldwell

    ReplyDelete