Monday 16 April 2012

Sgt Francis Knox Irvine



I have finaly managed to identify one of the pilots that regularly appears in my Grandfathers photos. Named as Irvine or Jock, he appears a popular character with his arm around someone or with a pipe in his mouth in nearly every photo of him.

Malin, Doddy and Irvine (thanks to Trevor Henshaw for this photo)


I found his Royal Aero Club Aviator's Certificate on ancestory.co.uk and from the photo there can be no mistake it is him, Sgt Francis Knox Irvine.


Royal Aero Club Aviator's Certificate Photo


I would like to try and find some more information on him, find out what he did after the war and so on. I obtained his service record from the PRO but that does not tell me much more.


My Grandfather and Irvine


Francis was born on the 13th November 1897 in Aberdeen.

On ancestory.com it appears that he married an Annie Milne, his parents were John Irvine and Elspet Jane Reid and he was the youngest of 4 sons (George, James and William). He was also named after his Grandfather Francis Knox Irvine (born 23/11/1837, died 1882).

Sgt Reginald White, Sgt Francis Irvine, Doddy

No comments:

Post a Comment