Monday 2 April 2012

Eye Witness account of Cowan's Crash

Translation of letter written in Flemish by Alfons Boddin, to Ethel Gutman.

Gits,
22nd January, 1919
My Dear Miss,

In good health I have received your letter and note that you have received the various pieces which I handed to Captain Telford and I have at your request immediately taken a photo of the grave and as soon as possible sent it to you. I now also at your request reply to your questions:

1. Lieut. J.Cowan was shot down in flames in an air fight. The machine was on fire and he himself jumped out of the machine at a height of about 2000 metres and he was embedded in the ground some 50 centimetres. He came down on the territory of Lichtervelde.
2. He was killed instantly on crashing.
3. I myself was the first on the spot and immediately after I had lifted him the German soldiers came and took possession of the body.
4. He has been buried in the meadow and lies at Lichtervelde-Beverenstraat, near GITS.
5. I received he photo and newspaper cutting from the German soldiers who carried the body away.
6. There was also a German Lieut. who was in command of the men and he himself took possession of all that was found on Lieut. Cowan.

I now send you 4 photos of the grave and I hope that you will be pleased with same. Have still in my possession other photos of the grave and if you want some more you must let me know and I shall send you some. If you wish to pay a visit to the grave then you must come to my house and I will accompany you to the grave. When you come it is all the same who will be here, meals, drinks and sleeping accommodation are at your disposal. Since you ask me what I paid for the costs of the photos, it was Frcs. 20.

with kind regards,

Note. My address is
Desire Boddin,
Gits lez Roulers,
P. West Vlaanderen,
Belgieqeu.

Pourremettre a
Alfons Boddin

No comments:

Post a Comment